Through the Looking Glass

I’ve heard a rumor that most people wait to travel once they’re retired–when they have more money or more time–but if you’ve followed Pictures and Plane Tickets for a while then you know that I don’t believe the hype. I’m a firm believer that tomorrow isn’t promised to anyone, so we must make the most of today! (Besides, when I’m retired, I’m pretty sure that I’ll be spending my days near the ocean with a good book, I won’t be up for 36 hours of continuous travel on a plane, train, bus, or ferry… that’s just me though.)

When I graduated from college over five years ago, I only dreamed about becoming a world traveler. Many of my classmates (including myself) were in the midst of an arduous job search–it was the great recession of 2009, after all–and throughout the endless applications and interview opportunities, I dreamed about visiting far-off exotic destinations, as well as going on my once-in-a-lifetime trip to Norway with my grandmother. Looking back, I honestly never thought that I would see so much in five short years.

The morning after my graduation celebration, I read through my graduation cards filled with love, well wishes, and congratulations, and there was one beautiful statement that has stuck with me throughout the years:

Frank Sinatra Quote

Read it again. This time, slowly, and with purpose:

The Best is yet to Come.

It’s true, isn’t it. And the fact that I believe that statement to be true makes my heart fill with happiness. We are in charge of our path in life and we can drastically change our lives depending on how hard we want to work.

On a weekly basis I have readers email me to ask how my husband and I travel so much. And while the answer is simple, we prioritize and we budget, I think that the biggest hurdle people face is the challenge of dreaming. There’s a famous saying that goes, “If you can dream it, you can do it”–and I’ll be the first to admit that I’m a sucker for those feel-good-kinds of quotes… Yet, dreaming allows me to push the boundaries. When I think about my Bucket list and my 101 goals list, both of those lists started from dreams; sometimes I feel like the bigger the dream, the harder I work to make it become a reality. And then the cycle starts all over again: the more I dream, the more I explore, and the more I explore, the more I dream about my next adventure.

No matter how big your dreams are, reach for them! The only person who can stop you is yourself. The path to your dream may not always be easy, but neither are most things worth achieving.

IMG_6321

What is your biggest dream?

Get more posts like this one delivered straight to your inbox when you subscribe to my blog by email (I pinky-promise not to send any junk mail). 🙂 And for your daily dose of Wanderlust follow me on Instagram (@picturesandplanetickets). Aloha!

1. February 26, 2015 / 5:04 PM

Aloha Krystle-
    Very well written and the only piece of advice I can share with you is to enjoy the moments you are living-don’t think about what or plan the next trip until you have completed the current journey with Joy and Gratitude 🙂 Beautiful photo too.

• February 26, 2015 / 10:14 PM

Hi Shawn-Marie,
      A beautiful reminder… thank you! 🙂 While I do really enjoy planning trips and anticipating our next move, I try to make sure that I also stop to enjoy the moment (both in daily life, and when half way around the world on trips). Gratitude is so very important to me. I feel that if you can’t be grateful for everything in your life, you will miss so many daily opportunities to reflect and be happy! 🙂 Thanks for stopping by. Have a great day!!

2. February 26, 2015 / 5:48 PM

Aloha Krystle,
    You go girl!!!
    To everyone else – don’t follow her, run down your own path. But run as hard and far as you can each day. Krystle is right. tomorrow isn’t promised to anyone.
    A Hui Hou,
    Wayne.

• February 26, 2015 / 10:18 PM

Aloha Wayne!
      The great thing is that we all have our own path in life right? 🙂 After my health scare the fact that everything could be gone tomorrow is more real than ever. It’s a good reminder to keep reaching for my dreams and to follow my heart.
      A Hui Hou my friend!

3. February 26, 2015 / 6:24 PM

Love your attitude Krystle and I love that you and your husband put life experiences so high on your list. I love the thought of attacking life with a passion and purpose.

I think the key to be able to travel so much is that you are able to limit the anchors that weight most families down. House, pets, kids, extended family, and work commitments all add up to significantly limit your free time. Im not saying that anything on that list is wrong but it just holds you back from traveling and I think that is why people wait until they are retired to travel because they have less anchors.

• February 26, 2015 / 10:04 PM

Hi robakers!
      Thank you for your comment. I agree about the anchors; priorities change throughout life, and that’s definitely a good thing! 🙂
      When we built our house two years ago one of our constant reminders was that we wanted to maintain our “travel lifestyle.” We wanted to build a beautiful home where we could eventually have a family, but at the same time we didn’t want to have “too much house” where our travel budget would be impacted. It’s a delicate balance between work, life, friends, family, etc, but we make sure travel is in that balance as well 🙂 I know it’s going to be harder to travel when we have little ones in tow, but hopefully we will find a way to balance those priorities so we can show our kids this awesome world that we live in. 🙂
      Have a fabulous day!

4. February 26, 2015 / 8:08 PM

So glad you wrote this post. YOU are a bit younger than me, but I am telling you–this wisdom you have will keep you young at heart as grow older with your husband…Blessings my dear……My traveling resource buddy!!

• February 26, 2015 / 10:22 PM

Aloha Alesia,
      Thank you for your sweet words. 🙂 I appreciate it. I love the remark about staying young at heart, that is perfect, and an incredible goal to shoot for. It reminds me of my great-grandmother; she wanted to learn how to rollerblade at 77 years old, so one summer afternoon we helped her rollerblade 🙂 haha. I haven’t thought about that memory for a while…
      Thanks for stopping by, so happy to have you here.

5. March 2, 2015 / 11:09 AM

Terribly good quote 🙂 My biggest dream is being in a band!

• March 2, 2015 / 12:09 PM

Hi Jamila! I wish you the best of luck making your dreams come true! 🙂 What kind of music do you like to play?

• March 2, 2015 / 12:25 PM

Thank you so much, Krystle!!! 🙂 You too! Well, I’m not very good yet but ideally in my future band I will play either post-punk or metal… or a mixture of both. Maybe with a twist of grunge, haha.

6. March 4, 2015 / 7:12 AM

This is a fabulous post, and it’s so true! I used to feel like I had so many limitations holding me back from my travel dreams (money, schedules, relationships). Finally, I realized that really all it took to travel was saying “I am going to this country this year.” I would start telling people about it, start planning the trip, and start setting aside money and honestly things just kind of fall into place from there. It’s amazing how things actually work out when you work a little bit for them, huh? 🙂

• March 4, 2015 / 3:28 PM

Hi Kelly,
      Thank you so much for your comment. I’m incredibly happy to hear that this kind of thinking works for you as well. 🙂 You’re right, if you just start planning for it, it just all falls in to place… for the most part anyways. Have a great day! and Happy Travels 🙂

7. March 4, 2015 / 4:56 PM

Just gosh darn love it. Even after I left my country and went ‘travelling’ I still let numerous things hold me back. Now I’ve learnt that all it takes is some doing. Thank you for the reminder.

• March 4, 2015 / 6:38 PM

Hi Caitlin,
      Thank you! 🙂 It’s easy to get sidetracked by life and all of its demands, I hope you enjoy your travels! Aloha!

8. March 5, 2015 / 1:39 PM

This is so spot on 🙂 My hubby and I, just before reading your post, were discussing our dreams and future plans over a bar of chocolate 🙂 it is so true, people are afraid to dream big because they are afraid that others will think their dreams are silly. But no one else will carve our lives if not ourselves. I agree with you about doing things now, before we grow old. Also it’s important not to stop doing things we love even when we get older. Charlie’s parents are such a good example, they are in their 70ies and still travel around, even if it’s in the same country, they move around. At the moment they are sunning in Malta! Lucky them! 🙂

btw i too love all these positive notes 🙂

• March 6, 2015 / 10:33 PM

Thanks, Kristina! 🙂 I love that Charlie’s parents still travel. I hope to as well, I just imagine I will stay closer to wherever I live instead of globe trotting the world… but then again, who knows what the future will hold. 🙂 Maybe at that age I will still be up for weeks of exploration… I can only hope that’s the case. 🙂 Here’s to plenty of traveling years ahead of the both of us! Cheers, my friend!