It’s Football Season Y’all!

It never fails, this time of the year my poor blog always becomes neglected. Between the twelve to fourteen hour days at work and the busy weekends, unfortunately the new posts get pushed to the back burner for a few weeks. But today I’m back, Hi Y’all, and we are talking about one of my favorite seasons of the year! 🙂

The days are getting shorter, the nights are getting cooler, and the leaves in the canyon are beginning to turn… this time of year can only mean one thing: Football Season!

As avid football fans we’ve crossed the country attending different games each year–from a bone-chilling birthday weekend in Indianapolis, to a bucket-list experience in Arlington, exploring the quaint college town of Athens, and attending a wild game in downtown Atlanta–we just can’t get enough of the stadiums, the beer, the game, and that electric atmosphere.

Football game - pictures and plane tickets

First NFL game: Indianapolis Colts vs. Dallas Cowboys

Dallas Cowboys Stadium

Dallas Cowboys vs. Tampa Bay Buccaneers

Our decision to attend a football game this season wavered throughout the spring and summer and as soon as we saw that our two favorite teams (the Colts and the Cowboys) were scheduled to play this year we were ecstatic! That is until the schedules were released and we saw that the game would be played the week of Christmas. Expensive flights, pricey hotels, busy holiday travel: No thank you!

Atlanta-Football

Atlanta Falcons vs. New Orleans Saints

Georgia-1

Georgia Bulldogs vs. Kentucky Wildcats

While basking in the warm Hawaiian sun back in June I received an email alert about flights to Denver for less than $100 round trip. It just so happened that our Colts were playing the Denver Broncos in early September and visions of watching a football game in Mile High Stadium started floating through my mind. Leave it to me to try to plan a vacation while currently on vacation. I’m telling you–I have a problem 😉 I crunched a few numbers and ALMOST booked the airfare until I pulled up tickets to the game… Unfortunately ticket prices were MILE HIGH (see what I did there) 😉 and we were unwilling to pay more for nosebleed tickets in Denver than we did for tickets on Row 20 in Cowboys Stadium. The idea sounded crazy to me!

So for now, we are enjoying the football season with our dogs from the comfort of our front room. Hey, the beer is cheaper this way anyways. 🙂 However, in the interest of full disclosure, I should mention that we didn’t book our fall football trip until October of last year so maybe we will change our minds after all.

Do you like football? Who’s your team?

1. September 15, 2014 / 3:18 PM

I wasn’t very into football until I went to the University of Georgia, and now I’m hooked… at least on SEC football. I also got into Navy football when we lived at the Naval Academy. My husband is a Bengals fan, so I will root for them, too, but I have to admit I get a little burned out watching football all weekend long!

• September 15, 2014 / 4:36 PM

Hey Jen! SEC football is the best kind of football 🙂 I know what you mean about getting burned out… I felt that way at the end of last season, but that could have been because of those nail-biting games the Bulldogs put us through 😉

2. September 16, 2014 / 10:57 AM

Love that you have been to so many different stadiums! Very cool experience. My husband and I plan to buy an RV one day and road trip it during football season!

• September 17, 2014 / 12:30 PM

Hey! I love how they are all so unique. That sounds like an awesome football season–road-tripping throughout the US! 🙂 Do you have any particular stadiums that you want to see the most?

• September 19, 2014 / 9:46 PM

For college, we would love to visit some great college towns and classic stadiums. Our top choices are Notre Dame, University of Michigan, Ohio State, USC (and really tailgate), and Texas A&M. I went to college in the south and already went to some of the big SEC stadiums. For NFL, I think we want to hit them all at some point!! Crazy, I know, but it would be great by RV or just make a weekend vacation out of it!

3. September 16, 2014 / 1:36 PM

We LOVE football here, too!! I’ve been a Pittsburg Steelers’ fan since 6th grade – which trust me was a loooooooong time ago. 🙂 My hubby was a Cowboys fan in his youth but now he’s so into fantasy football that he doesn’t really follow just one team anymore.

My wonderful kids blessed me with tickets to the Steelers vs Lions game a few years ago and it was definitely a once-in-a-lifetime experience for me. Loved every second of it! (And thankfully there were as many -if not more – Steelers fans at the game as there were Lions fans. 🙂 )

Just this past Sunday I had all my kids and their spouses here so my living room was loud with all the cheering. Just what this momma loves! I hope you get to go to a game this season, Krystle!

• September 17, 2014 / 12:33 PM

Hi there! 🙂
      I love how football can bring everyone together. Those are some of my favorite memories growing up, and some of the events I look forward to the most these days. Nothing like football, family, and delicious food.
      That is so neat your kids surprised you with tickets to a game. I want to take my dad to Cowboys Stadium for one of his upcoming birthdays. He’s been a die-hard Cowboys fan his entire life and I’d love to have him see a game in person!
      I hope we get to go as well… we will see what the fall brings. If anything I’ll keep counting down the days to Maui… 🙂 Almost under 100…. almost!

4. September 17, 2014 / 1:07 PM

There aren’t many Australians following NFL, but I’m one of them! One of my Bucket List items is to see my Seattle Seahawks play at home at CenturyLink! I watched every game last season (and the Superbowl win of course!) online through NFL Game Pass while travelling. There’s something special about an Aussie watching NFL on his laptop in Chinese winter!

Hope you get to your dream game some day!

• September 17, 2014 / 3:06 PM

Hey!
      That’s awesome you follow the NFL all the way from Australia! 🙂 Or China or wherever you happen to be in the world! I would do the same thing. Even better that your team won the SuperBowl last year. It’s been almost 20 years since my ‘boys have been back to the SB… WAYYY too long!
      My little brother is a ‘Hawks fan… I don’t know what happened there as the rest of us are all Cowboys fans, but I’ll forgive him 😉 hahahaha… the Seahawks are a fun team to watch (when they aren’t playing my team) 😉 Here’s to a great season for both of our teams!

5. September 19, 2014 / 1:44 PM

Love football! It’s mainly about college for me – I’m a Sooner. But I’m big into fantasy football so I watch on Sundays as well. My husband is a Jets fan so I try to root for them to keep the house happy 🙂

• September 19, 2014 / 1:50 PM

Hey Kacy! I’m way into FFB as well! I’m the only girl in my league and I still beat most of the boys! 😉 😉 And you’re right, there’s nothing like college football. I love waking up on Saturday mornings and turning the TV to College Game Day! 🙂 Enjoy your weekend.

6. September 19, 2014 / 4:53 PM

I have always wanted to see a “Football” match, I’ve only ever watched what you guys call soccer.

• September 21, 2014 / 8:05 AM

Little Miss Curious,
      It is a fun experience! Completely different from “soccer” but still a lot of fun if you like watching sports. I went to my first Real Salt Lake soccer game this year, and watching the World Cup was intense. I loved it! 🙂