Turtle Power!

Happy Turtle Tuesday!

On our first visit to Hawaii back in 2009 we encountered our first sea turtle on the popular, sunny, south shore beach of Kauai. Poipu Beach is a frequent hang out for the Hawaiian Honu (sea turtle) as well as many sea-lions; and while I expected to see a sea-lion relaxing on the sandy beach, I never thought I would have accidentally snorkeled with one. Oops…

Sea Lion 4

Over the last five years, we have been incredibly fortunate to encounter turtles on almost every island. Here’s a few of our favorite spots to see turtles:

Kauai: Poipu Beach

Miami is known for its delicious cuban food and sexy nightlife scene, and I’m thinking that Poipu Beach must be the “Miami” of the turtle world. This crescent-shaped sandy beach is a hot spot for turtles and sea lions alike, and maybe we’ve just been lucky, but every time we visit Poipu Beach we encounter sea life.

Kauai TurtleKauai Turtle

Kauai: Tunnels Beach

Just like Poipu Beach on the south side, turtles are often seen at Tunnels Beach on Kauai’s lush North Shore. Every single time that I visit this beach I spot a turtle frolicking out in the waves. Sometimes it’s a shadow within the waves, or I see them cruising through the famous “tunnels” coral formations, and every once in a while it’s a small head peeking out of the water. If you visit Tunnels Beach, you are bound to find a new friend.

Turtles-Tunnels1-1

Kauai: A’nini Beach

Ah, Anini Beach. Let me count the ways I love thee: your protected waters, tree-lined beach, soft sand, and hidden location, it’s no wonder this beach is one of my favorite beaches on Kauai. And during the winter months, I’m not alone; there were too many turtles to count at this beach. We decided to visit you more than once that winter and our turtle friends were there each and every time.

Kauai Turtles Kauai Turtles Turtles at 'Anini

West Maui: Kahana

Our condo at the Valley Isle Resort was high up on the tenth floor, and the floor-to-ceiling windows and huge balcony provided spectacular views of not only the neighboring islands, but the friendly visitor that we saw each and every day for two weeks. It never failed, every morning he would swim down the coast and every night he would swim back. I loved sitting out on the balcony with a cocktail in hand watching for our not-so little friend.

Maui Turtle

West Maui: Honokowai

The main reason that we decided on an oceanfront condo along the west coast of Maui was because it was January, which in Hawaii means: Whale Season. We wanted to spot whales while enjoying breakfast out on our lanai, and of course the whales didn’t disappoint. The unexpected surprise–turtles joining us for breakfast almost every morning.

Turtles-Honokowai-1Tunnels-Honokowai1-1

Big Island: Punaluu Beach

Black Sand, Palm trees, Honu, need I say more? Punaluu Beach is a hot spot for Turtles, almost as hot as the black sand itself. (I say almost because that sand is scalding hot!) If I were a turtle I imagine that this would be the place I would want to go as well. Now if we could just do something about those pesky tourists… 😉

Punaluu2-1 Punaluu1-1 Punaluu-1

Which spot is your favorite?

1. August 19, 2014 / 1:34 PM

These are awesome. We have swum with turtles twice in Akumal Mexico, but I would love to see one on the beach in the day light like this!

• August 19, 2014 / 1:58 PM

Hi Jessica! Thank you. I have never been to Mexico, but I hope to visit someday!

• August 19, 2014 / 1:59 PM

Thank you! My husband took some of them, but I think we are both definitely improving. 🙂

2. August 19, 2014 / 2:16 PM

The sea turtles in Barbados are amazing too! They are like water puppies that swim into your hands as if they want to be pet! So beautiful.

• August 19, 2014 / 2:41 PM

I never saw any turtles in Barbados! I’m totally jealous!!! 🙂 I bet that was amazing. Which beach were you at?

3. August 19, 2014 / 3:01 PM

Excellent underwater photos!

• August 19, 2014 / 7:06 PM

Thanks, John! 🙂

• August 19, 2014 / 7:03 PM

Aloha Auntie! I will go check out those links. Thanks!! I should have mentioned in my post that everyone should give these guys their space. All of my close up photos were taken with a zoom lens as I completely respect these beautiful animals and their space. There was actually someone at Punalu’u beach taking selfies (yes “selfies”) with a turtle…. laying right next to it and everything. What a shame. Some of the other visitors spoke up and asked her to move. She didn’t seem to be to happy about being told what to do… some people!!!
      A Hui Hou 🙂

4. August 19, 2014 / 6:02 PM

Aloha, A wonderful place to see turtles all the time is Puako on the Big Island. Plus, if you visit during the winter when the whales are in Hawaii, the Puako General Store has live feed from the ocean of the whale’s singing, which is very cool!! Thanks for sharing other spots to spot turtles and sea life! Mahalo, Penguin Lady On The Loose

• August 19, 2014 / 7:04 PM

Great advice! That’s awesome Puako General Store has a live feed. I would LOVE to stop by during whale season. Aloha!

5. August 20, 2014 / 4:15 AM

Gorgeous shots of turtles and sea lions! 🙂 We didn’t get to see any 🙁 We lived just round the corner from Tunnels beach on the Haena beach, but the ocean was very rough, maybe that’s the reason we didn’t see any turtles. I was desperate to see one, but luck wasn’t on my side this time. I end up bUying a beautiful turtle shaped decoration from arts shop and it now happily lives on my wall at home 🙂

• August 22, 2014 / 1:26 PM

Hey Kristina!! Sorry you didn’t get to see any turtles or sea lions. It will happen next time! 🙂 I love Tunnels Beach, I would love to stay just around the corner from that beach. Hopefully one of these times we can rent a beach house near there. 🙂 Have a great weekend!

6. August 26, 2014 / 7:07 AM

These pics are making my pine for Kauai. We bought a home there on the south shore about a month ago and are just trying to get our stuff together before we move in the spring. It’s killing us to wait that long but that’s what we have to do. Anyway – love the pictures! Keep on traveling!

• August 29, 2014 / 5:29 PM

Congratulations! 😀 That is my dream, to own a home in Kauai. Spring can’t come soon enough for you! 🙂

7. September 19, 2014 / 1:39 PM

Oh man, love those last three photos. Gave my heart a lurch.

• September 19, 2014 / 1:48 PM

Thank you! 🙂 Our photography skills have come along way since our first few vacations! Have a great weekend.