Getting Loco!

This last trip to Hawaii marked our Fifth visit to the Hawaiian Islands. Five trips in five years? I’m liking this trend!!

On our first visit to Hawaii I tried Pineapple for the first time and I haven’t stopped eating it since. When given the opportunity, my husband and I have tried to sample most of the local cuisine including: fresh fish like Ahi, Ono, and Mahi Mahi; to Kalua Pork cooked in an underground oven, to Poi, to delicious plate lunches, and all kinds of local grown produce such as coconuts, mangoes, lychees, macadamia nuts, and finally, you can’t think of Hawaii without thinking about Shave Ice.

There was one item that kept appearing on menus at all the local establishments, The Loco Moco; and yet, we never decided to order it–maybe it was all those fresh fish options I was busy trying… 😉

It was close to 9:00pm when we pulled up outside of Cafe 100 in Hilo. And as we browsed the menu, I asked a local what he recommended and he and his friends all responded with “You gotta get the Loco Moco!”

So it was decided, the Loco Moco it was. This local dish starts out with a pile of white or brown rice, a savory hamburger patty, a fried egg (fried to your liking), and then the entire dish is smothered in finger-licking-good brown gravy.

You guys, my mouth is watering just thinking about this dish.

Simple, flavorful ingredients that don’t sound all that appetizing combined together, but it worked, and was delicious. In fact, it was so good we found ourselves asking the locals on Kauai, “Where can we find a good Loco Moco around here?”

Sorry about the quality. I'm not much of a food photographer as I'm much more concerned with EATING :)

Sorry about the quality. I’m not much of a food photographer as I’m much more concerned with EATING 🙂

Have you tried a Loco Moco?

1. July 12, 2014 / 12:43 PM

I haven’t tried one, but it looks great!

• July 12, 2014 / 3:46 PM

It hit the spot. 🙂 They had other kinds of meat (to replace the hamburger patty) that we will have to try next time.
      Have a great day!

2. July 12, 2014 / 7:48 PM

Aloha Krystle,
    Frequent visits, shave ice, and loco moco – you’re becoming a ‘local girl’. Did the locals recommend L&L Barbeque in Kapaa? It’s my favorite.
    A Hui Hou (until next time),
    Wayne

• July 13, 2014 / 8:20 AM

Aloha Wayne!
      The locals recommended Tip Top Cafe. When we pulled up I thought we were in the wrong place, but they did have an excellent Loco Moco. We tried L&Ls for the first time up in Hanalei and it was great!
      Scotty’s was my FAVORITE restaurant (not just in Kauai, but anywhere) and I was sad to see it close last year. 🙁
      Do you have any other favorite restaurants you’d like to share? I’m always looking for suggestions.
      A Hui Hou 🙂

• July 14, 2014 / 2:23 PM

Aloha Krystale,
        Café Portofino in Lihue is my favorite. Spinach salad, lasagna, and profiteroles – finished with a couple of lemon cellos. It always makes me happy. As a bonus, the owner will usually set aside a couple of osso buco bones for my dogs. Life is good on Kauai.
        A Hui Hou,
        Wayne

3. July 13, 2014 / 2:36 AM

Oh i remember that, we tried it on the south shore of Kaua’i when we were visiting the Waimea Canyon 🙂 I don’t normally eat meat, but it was very delicious 🙂 And the catch of the day! omg the fish is amazing, so fresh and tasty! Also it seemed like everything came with mango salsa, by the end of our trip I was avoiding dishes that had it on the side 😀 however I am not a fan of shaved ice 🙂 we tried it once and couldn’t finish it… :/

• July 13, 2014 / 8:15 AM

Hey Kristina!
      I typically try to stay away from red meat as well, but I’m glad I made the exception that day 🙂 How come you don’t like shave ice? Is it too sweet/sugary??

• July 13, 2014 / 11:09 AM

too sweet for my liking, it’s like eating ice cubes with lots of syrup over them 🙂 not my thing, I enjoyed fresh smoothies so much more 🙂

4. July 16, 2014 / 11:28 PM

Just got back from my first trip to Hawaii (visited Maui) and on my second day I debated the Loco Moco for breakfast. Went with the pork fried rice and eggs instead but the Loco Moco looked good too!