Whale Watching on Maui

If you head to Hawaii during the months of December through April, whale watching is a MUST. How often do you have the incredible opportunity of seeing Humpback Whales frolicking near one of their favorite wintertime playgrounds?ย The clear waters off Maui attract hundreds of whales each year due to the protected waters and shallower ocean depths (so far this season, there have been over 1,300 whale sightings). And can you blame them? After a 3,000 mile journey from the cold Alaskan waters, I think Maui sounds like the perfect place to relax for the winter. We had so much fun on our whale watch while we were in Kauai last winter that we booked another tour while we were in Maui.

I decided to book through the Pacific Whale Foundation as the company received rave reviews on Trip Advisor and Maui Revealed. Maybe it was an off day for the Pacific Whale Foundation, but at first I wasย unimpressed.

mckayla-maroney-pissed

Unimpressed… (My thoughts exactly, McKayla!) ๐Ÿ˜‰

Photo credit

It could have been the unfriendly staff at check-in, or it could have been the 120+ passengers stuffed into the boat that day; for the record, they were compliant as the maximum capacity is 147 passengers, but it still felt like there were wayyyyy too many people on board.

Regardless of the rough start that morning, once we were onboard I can say that I thoroughly enjoyed being out on the water. Nothing could damper my spirits–even if I was sharing my own personal bubble with the stranger standing too close. ๐Ÿ˜‰

Whale Watching

Whale Watching1

And the best part was, of course, the WHALES! I probably don’t have to mention how much I loved seeing the beautiful Humpback Whales. It’s such a rush to see a giant 45-ton animal swimming near the boat and the feeling you experience when you see one of these majestic creatures propelling themselves out of the water is indescribable. It’s one of those moments that you will never forget.

If I were to choose the Pacific Whale Foundation for another whale watch I would book a tour on one of the rafts in their fleet in order to have a more personal experience. However, next time, I may try another company all together. For now, enjoy the whales…

Momma and her calf

Momma and her calf

Whale Watching

A friendly whale waving Hello!

Whale WatchingWhale Watching

Amazing!

Amazing!

End of a Whale Breach

End of a Whale Breach

Thanks to Cody for taking the amazing photos above! ๐Ÿ™‚

Have you been whale watching on Maui? Which company did you book through?

1. March 12, 2014 / 6:35 PM

Cody has such a great eye for photos. Looks you and him had another spectacular adventure. Keep enjoying life.

• March 13, 2014 / 9:34 AM

He does, doesn’t he! We are already missing Maui, maybe one of these times you will want to come with us!! ๐Ÿ™‚ ๐Ÿ™‚

2. March 12, 2014 / 11:05 PM

I have never watched whales in Maui, but I did in Glacier Bay Alaska. Whales are cool no matter where you see them.

• March 13, 2014 / 9:34 AM

Hey Rick!
      You are absolutely right! I would love to see them in Alaska, I bet that would be soooo neat!

3. March 13, 2014 / 9:33 AM

Whales are so beautiful, so happy they made an appearance for you! ๐Ÿ™‚

• March 13, 2014 / 9:37 AM

Me too! ๐Ÿ™‚ They were everywhere that day. I didn’t put it in my post but we even listened to them communicate, which was really cool. Maybe I’ll have to add the video!!

4. March 25, 2014 / 2:49 AM

Lovely! We took a ferry from Maui to Lanai and saw a few beautiful humpback whales ๐Ÿ™‚ not as close as you though ๐Ÿ™‚ but still an incredible experience ๐Ÿ™‚ I wanna go back!! ๐Ÿ™‚

5. February 26, 2016 / 11:22 PM

Hey! I have been a bit distant reading all the blogs I follow that I’m back on the road but always remember your blogs popping up with heaps of tips on Hawaii! We’re heading there for the first time in mid April and plan to go to Maui for 10 days….is that too long/short? Should we try and see another island too? What’s your favourite island? Hope you can help!! Thanks, Lauren and Craig

• February 29, 2016 / 1:02 PM

Hey Lauren and Craig.
      Happy to have you back! ๐Ÿ™‚ I’m glad to hear that you remembered my blog as you thought about your trip to Hawaii, that is awesome!
      Maui in April will be wonderful. You may still see the whales as they near the end of their “vacation” to the islands. I love visiting Hawaii during whale season.
      Whenever I leave the islands I’m always wishing for more time, but ten days is a good amount of time for your first trip.If you stay on Maui for all ten days, I would recommend you spend a night or two over in Hana or at a vacation rental near Hana. It’s so beautiful on that side and there are a lot of great hiking opportunities.
      You could also think about splitting up your trip into two islands. Kauai and Maui are our top two favorite islands. But we also really enjoyed the Big Island, and there are a lot of cool things to do on O’ahu as well.
      Feel free to browse the blog for Hawaii activities and excursions and if you have any questions at all, don’t hesitate to email me (picturesandplanetickets@gmail.com)
      Aloha! xoxo