The Elephant in the Room

That dreaded time…

When the suitcases come out, the mini bottles of shampoo, conditioner, and body wash begin to take over my bathroom vanity, the last-minute laundry is sorted, and the deep house cleaning begins.

Personally, it’s quite an exciting time for me, because it means that a trip is on the horizon, however, when I turn around and see a face like this:

Dexter

Dexter

It also makes me feel incredibly guilty. (He’s going to trip over that lip…it makes me feel so bad)

While I love traveling the world, I can’t help but feel a sense of guilt and sadness when I think about our pets being “abandoned” for the time that we are gone.

Of course, I always leave them in good hands, and I probably shouldn’t worry as much as I do, but I can’t help but feel sad when we leave. I guess on the bright side of things, it makes coming home that much easier–knowing there is a friendly (if not a little slobbery) face to come home to. 🙂

Do you have pets? What do you do with your pets when you travel?

1. Cody
    November 19, 2013 / 5:44 PM

This is the worst part of traveling. I hate seeing them so upset, but your right, it does make coming back home a lot better. Great piece.

• November 20, 2013 / 12:08 PM

It breaks my heart to see buddy so sad… but they will be okay. 🙂

2. November 20, 2013 / 10:35 AM

Our cats are the same way! Once the suitcases are out, they are verrrry curious.
    Where are you off to?

• November 20, 2013 / 12:08 PM

It makes me so sad that I usually try to wait and pack once the dogs are dropped off at the sitter. That way they don’t stress about it for a few days. 😉 We are headed to Georgia to watch our beloved Bulldogs play in the last home game of the year!

3. November 23, 2013 / 7:35 PM

I have a dog too, a 10 year old Jack Russell Terrier, Molly. She knows before I even get the suitcase out. i don’t know how but she does. And as soon as I do, she freaks out. running towards the door, pacing, whining. especially if she sees her stuff being packed. If I’m headed somewhere where I can drop her off at my parent’s house she has a doberman to play with, otherwise my brother’s family would watch her for me. I try to take her with me as much as I can, if possible. I hate leaving her but sometimes I have to, duty calls! ~Gina

• November 27, 2013 / 11:24 AM

Aw, how sad. It’s weird how they seem to know before the suitcases even come out!

4. November 24, 2013 / 8:23 AM

We have two dogs, who are now pretty old. Leaving them is harder because they take medication and their care is more cumbersome. But our neighbors are awesome. They take good care of them.

• November 27, 2013 / 11:24 AM

That’s awesome your neighbors are willing to take care of them. How sweet. You guys are so lucky!!

5. November 27, 2013 / 11:54 AM

That face just melted my heart. I have two cats I left with my parents when I was away, but not they’ve gotten so accustomed to luxury I can’t bear to take them back. For now they live on the other side of Canada, where there are stairs to climbs and field mice to chase.

• November 27, 2013 / 5:53 PM

Dexter is the sweetest little guy! He melts my heart often. It sounds like your cats are living the good life! I’m sure it’s hard to be away from them but how could you take them away from chasing field mice? 🙂