A Pirate Flashback

Our time spent in the Caribbean last summer has left me yearning to explore more of those beautiful islands, and recently I find myself trying to figure out when we can get back. These cold winter days have left me in a tropical dream and I figured if I can’t go to the islands, I would create the next best thing. Meet the Pirate Pain Killer.

PAINKILLER

During our time in St. John my husband and I drank Pirate Painkillers as we spent our anniversary sailing around the islands. These drinks were very strong delicious and I thought that I would share the recipe found in a recent issue of Islands Magazine.

The Pirate Pain Killer

SERVES 1-2

2-4 oz. of Pusser’s Rum
4 oz. pineapple juice
1 oz. cream of coconut
1 oz. orange juice
Grated fresh nutmeg

In a cocktail shaker filled with ice add first four ingredients and stir. Pour into cocktail glasses and top with grated nutmeg.

Pain Killer

This drink captures the essence of the warm waters, bright sun, and carefree time spent in such a beautiful location. It is best consumed on Honeymoon Beach while relaxing in the bright Caribbean Sun. 😉

1. February 12, 2013 / 5:17 PM

I’ll try that in April. Sailing for a week in Antigua. When in Rome hahaha

• February 12, 2013 / 6:11 PM

Can’t wait to hear all about it! 🙂 Hope you like the drink, I’m thinking you will.

2. February 12, 2013 / 5:36 PM

Yum, sounds amazing. We are hoping to go to the Caribbean this summer. Any tips?

• February 12, 2013 / 6:10 PM

Lucky! You will love it. What island are you going to? Take your snorkel gear, camera, and lots of sunscreen! 🙂

• February 14, 2013 / 8:54 AM

Hi, Krystle! We are thinking Puerto Rico. It seems like a good intro to the caribbean. I will need the sunscreen– I am ghostly white!

• February 15, 2013 / 9:40 AM

Puerto Rico is great. We enjoyed walking around Old San Juan and reading about all of the history. I recommend getting out of the city. Go hike in the rainforest and see the waterfalls. 🙂 My friend lived in Puerto Rico for a few years and he is insistent that when we go back we have to go to Culebra. If you go there, let me know how it is!

3. February 12, 2013 / 7:28 PM

I will try this on the weekend…. I will also look for it when I am travelling next month… nothing beats a good tropical drink…. I wonder weather it would be good with crushed ice!

• February 13, 2013 / 10:34 AM

We enjoyed our with crushed ice and it was great! I’m planning on making some this weekend as well. And you’re right, there’s nothing better than a tropical drink, especially a strong one! 😉

• February 13, 2013 / 10:35 AM

It was very delicious! Takes the cold winter blues right out of you! 🙂

• February 15, 2013 / 9:35 AM

That’s how I felt about it too. Coconut and pineapple immediately take me to a warm, tropical destination, even if it’s only for a moment. Have a great weekend!

4. February 18, 2013 / 3:27 PM

Mmmm… I love a good cocktail and I can taste this one just by reading the ingredients. I have to try and make it myself!:)

• February 18, 2013 / 4:50 PM

Thanks for stopping by. I hope you enjoy it, it’s one of my favorites…

5. August 15, 2014 / 3:47 PM

This is interesting.. I have a cookout at my place on Sunday and I am going to try this.. QQ.. In Virginia, the sale of alcoholic spirits is controlled by the state. I am not sure if I can get Pusser’s Rum in the local store. Is there any other dark rum that would work with this drink? Appleton Estate Rum, would it work?

6. August 16, 2014 / 9:48 AM

Hey! I think you could substitute any dark rum. Let me know what you think! 🙂 I need to whip up some more of these pronto! Have a great bbq and Happy weekend!