As I’m packing for our vacation this week I wanted to share my top five favorite items to pack in my carry-on bag (or in my purse):
- Headphones and headphone splitter. Headphones are a must so you don’t have to pay to use the ones on the plane. Even if you only watch the shows that are played during your flight, you will need your headphones. I like to pack the headphone splitter so my husband and I can watch the same movie on our tablet or computer. It allows us to share a quiet moment 35,000 feet up, while we are surrounded by strangers, and it gives us an opportunity to catch up on the new seasons of our favorite shows. Quick tip: Download your favorite movies before you leave so you will have hours of entertainment on the plane.
- Sanitizing wipes and hand sanitizer. Who sat in the seat before you? Who used that tray you are now setting all of your stuff on? What about the window cover or movie screen (those are touch screens you know). Nobody wants to get sick on vacation or as soon as they get home, ‘nuff said. Quick tip: Make sure to abide by the TSA guidelines so your sanitizer can get through security.
- Electronic chargers for your phone, tablet, computer, etc. Keeping these items in your carry-on instead of your checked bag allows you the opportunity to re-charge your electronics if you’re waiting for a layover flight.
- A good book. You never know when your electronics will run out of battery and it’s always nice to have the option to catch up on your reading. The book I’m taking with me, Steve Jobs by Walter Isaacson.
- A snack. Depending on how long your flight is, you might want to consider buying a snack and a drink once you are through security. On our recent flight to Hawaii I bought some soup at one of the restaurants near our gate and took it on the plane with me. Then, once I was hungry during the six hour flight I was able to eat something healthy and pass on the sodium packed peanuts and pretzels.
What are you favorite items to pack in your carry-on? Happy travels!